Monday 21 July 2008

Plane goes down in Vietnam

Teenagers are not human beings. Late on Friday afternoon i ask my daughter if she had agreed to hook up at Heathrow with any of the other 17 or so people that she will be meeting up with in Vietnam. I ask for several reasons the travelling time from Heathrow to Hanoi is 19 1/2 hours which is a long time to spend alone, and the 3 hour stop over in kuala Lumpur also on her own would be a worry for us because although she's pretty sensible and has passed through airports on many occasions, she has never done it on her own and has relied on others mainly us to see everything went as it should. Also no parent would feel completely at ease with the thought of their attractive 18 yr old being alone in a foreign airport , especially the first time she's travelled alone. Well after a little thought she got on facebook and found that one other person was on the same flight and agreed to meet and checking together, she was relieved as were we. Well we got to the airport met up with the girl who looked 15 but was 19 and had travelled around Europe alone last summer so we were relieved that she would be with some one who had a bit of experience travelling. Anyway we got them checked in took them up to the the entrance of the departure lounge and we said our goodbyes.
We have a tradition in our family as do many others, which is when ever we go on a long journey when we arrive we get in touch, let your closest know you are safe etc. Anyway i always check departure times (some airlines also have realish time tracking info) and arrival times because i can and to reasure myself, so 25 minute delay taking off from Heathrow, fine, arrival kuala lumpur on time, departure to Hanoi 20 minute delay, fine, arrival time Hanoi passes 4 hours go by no call, text or email, i check Hanoi arrival info plane departed kuala lumpur as expected due in 13.10 local time what time is it in Hanoi 17.30! What does it say for flight MH752 from kuala Lumpur, no fucking info at this time. Me I'm chilled about stuff like that, but who just happens to walk into the room at that moment a now very worried mum who immediately thinks the worst. I say look if a 747 went down over Vietnam we would have heard. I've Skyped her mobile texted and emailed her. As i type this she's been on the ground in Hanoi for 20 hours. Fucking teenagers you can rely on them to be totally thoughtless. Her Mums still worried all i can think is typical teenager.

6 comments:

Sopwith-Camel said...

I've always had the opposite tradition; when I go off somewhere I'll only get in touch with people if there's something wrong. And if it's something really wrong, then someone else will be getting in touch on my behalf. I've conditioned those I know to not expect to hear from me, and that's the way I like it.

But then, I'm not normal.

Mcleod said...

Sopwith-Camel said...

But then, I'm not normal.

You are not an 18yr old girl travelling without friends or family for the first time, although you do come across as being a bit of a girl at times.

P. said...

Good to see you encouraging repeat business, Grant.

P. said...

I've conditioned those I know to not expect to hear from me, and that's the way I like it.

Expect nothing and you shall receive it in abundance.

Mcleod said...

Blogger P. said...

Expect nothing and you shall receive it in abundance.


Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed!

P. said...

I've conditioned those I know to not expect to hear from me

With crocodile clips and a big stick.

I preferred the stick, I'll be honest.